Willkommen! Kys ta shiu? Bonjour! Welcome!
The Latest Incarnation of My Webpages
Well, here is the latest (perhaps the third for those of you following along) incarnation of my web pages.
I basically put up these pages so that I can refer to things I'm always forgetting. I don't really care who reads them or even if people read them. Actually, most of these pages won't even make sense to anyone but me. It's mostly just for my own amusement. You're free to take a look, but just remember I warned you...
These pages almost always center on genealogy and the languages my ancestors spoke. I'm interested in genealogy to the extent that I can learn the village or even just the country that my ancestors are from. This has got to be a unique or nearly unique reason for tackling genealogy. By the way, the short answer to the question after thirty years (off and on) of my genealogical "research" is German. That's pretty much it. German. Remember: The answer to all of this is German. It's kind of like the answer to everything in the universe, according to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe, is 42.)
Listing Site Updates
I just started the page July 17, 2006. I am always updating when I get a chance - little things here and there.
Just Remember This
(If you want to see people crazy, speak the truth to their face.)
Gwnewch y pethau bychain mewn bywyd.
(Do the little things in life.)
A quote from St. David, the patron saint of Wales. The full quote is "Be joyful, and keep your faith and your creed. Do the little things that you have seen me do and heard about. I will walk in the path that our fathers have trod before us."
"Plato says that the unexamined life is not worth living. But what if the examined life turns out to be a clunker as well?"
An Index of These Pages
- Homeis where you are now. How Zen!?
- ListsLists of things usually having to do with languages
- Heritage LanguagesThis is stuff having to do with the languages my ancestors speak.
- American LanguagesThis is stuff having to do with American Heritage Languages. These are languages spoken nowhere else except in the United States.
- Genealogy is a little about my genealogy. There isn't much detail. A lot of it is just copied over from Ancestry.com's WorldConnect. And, while I try to be as accurate as I can about my genealogy, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there are some incorrect lines.
- LinksA few links to places I don't often go to!
- PhotosThere are no photos here. I have a digital camera—just never bothered to upload anything. There are some flags of places ancestors came from.
- MiscellaneousThis is mostly language stuff that
doesn't fit anywhere else.
- The time and temperature in Burbank, Ohio. Putting this page together gives me an excuse to play around with javasomething I have no business doing. Of course, it is handy to get to the weather in Burbank if I'm at a computer without having to click through fifteen links.
- Slovak and Slovenian has to do with the differences between things Slovak and things Slovenian. It's not easy to tell the difference sometimes. There's also some stuff on other Slavic languages.
- Languages U.S. presidents spoke is a page on the languages U.S. presidents spoke or had some sort of contact with.
- Pinyin is a page with some common Chinese names and places in Pinyin with tone marks.
- New Testament BooksThis is a page on the order of books in the New Testament.
- I've also constructed a few languages, but they're so silly I don't publish the link to them.
- Georgian is Georgian.
Behind the Scenes of My Home Page
This is another section of the original template I chose. There really isn't any kind of "behind the scenes" anything. Generally, early in the morning or late at night (the only time I really have any free time) I put together my webpages. So, since I'm either just getting out bed or just about to go to bed, I often write while wearing nothing but underwear! And I'm middle aged and flabby. Sorry to put that image into your mind.
You'll find that this page can be kind of bloggish. This stuff may in fact fit better on a blog, but I'm so boring and I do so little outside of the house that there just isn't enough to justify a blog. Of course, that hasn't stopped a lot of people from having a blog...
And here's another good quote that I have to put somewhere but don't yet have the time:"Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth that ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now.” ― William Hutchison Justin Murray
Oh, and here is my email address. I'm not sure that it will work. In any case, it will take days or even weeks before I get back to you.